Haute Performance does offer mentoring services for European companies having or considering operations in South Africa. These services are provided through a consulting relationship (professional services), or sometimes even through a directorship.
A) What do we bring?
- Knowledge of the South African business scene and its special texture
- Relationship between business and politics, between business and government
- Black Economic Empowerment
- Knowledge of South African business practices
- Competition law, Commercial law, Labour laws
- Exchange controls
- Corporate Governance
- Knowledge of the business service providers
- Head hunters
- Real Estate agents
- Supply chain providers
- General Management experience in South Africa (Supply Chain service company)
- Ability to grasp quickly market structures and dynamics, as well as companies “DNA”, developed through years of experience as management consultants, both in South Africa and in Europe
- Broad spectrum of business experiences
- We operate in many functional domains, with a few spikes in Operations, Supply Chain and Procurement. We venture into sales and marketing with ease
- As consultants we deal with performance improvements at large, but tackle also company turn-arounds, organisation developments and “strategy issues” – product portfolio, company acquisition etc.
- Experience in Directorship (American and Belgian multinationals)
B) What do we do?
We act as the representative and/or local mentor of the South African Operations and as the link with the mother company. Exact activities depend on the stage of development of the South Africa Operations.
- Market entry strategies (products, channels, pricing, …)
- Installation – selection of location, site – selection of company set-up
- Selection of business partners (search firms, Real Estate, Audit, Company secretary, Accountants, communications, etc..)
Company development, steering, transformation and/or turn-around through:
- Strategy validation
- Organisation development
- Performance monitoring
- CEO coaching and mentoring
The relationship model is either on the basis of time and material or retainer.
C) Benefits for the company
- Speedier initial development
- Management consulting experience and resource at a fraction of the cost, and with continuity
- Culture bridge between SA and Head Quarters
D) Case example
(Belgian Company active in the automotive distribution sector)
- Change of management team (exit, hiring, transfers from Head Offices, induction)
- Interim management
- Governance and conflict resolution
- Relay with local services providers (lawyers, forensic, due diligence)
- Local acquisitions
- Strategy development (new products launches, budget validation, etc)
- Full restructuring – change of management team, reorganisation in Business lines, change of management team (80% achievement after 20 months)
- Company structure “right-sized” in a depleted market
- Increase of Market share back to natural level
- Portfolio expansion
- Improved relationship with minority shareholder